10 Favorite Signs of Erev Yom Kippur in Jerusalem
In the fall holiday season,
Yom Kippur quickly follows Rosh Hashanah and then comes Sukkot.
The signs of the season are everywhere, but here are 10 of my favorites.
1. It seems almost everywhere one can see
mountains of pomegranates,
the seeds can be eaten plain or in my favorite – a chocolate-almond tart.
2. Cars are loaded with food, as there are many meals to prepare.
3. Cars decorated before a wedding are common sights.
With all he holidays, the days for weddings are limited, but not the
enthusiasm of these young men driving to the Kotel, the Western Wall.
4. Crowds of tourists mingle with bar mitzvah celebrants at the Kotel.
5. It is hard to find a spot to place a note this time of year,
where they are overflowing before being cleaned out.
6. Strange looking structures start to appear,
even in the fanciest of neighborhoods, as plain wood sukkot fill balconies.
‘Tis the season to get in shape.
7. This man was spotted trying to carry two heavy bags,
each containing long bamboo poles to top a sukkah.
8. White is the color of choice for Yom Kippur - this kippah a new favorite.
9. The United Jerusalem guy is back in Mamilla Mall with a new shirt.
10. And finally, I loved seeing this sign.
Tonight there are special Erev Yom Kippur prayers
in Kikar Safra, Safra Square. Where else
will you hear the songs of the Yom Kippur service on the radio
and in the courtyard of City Hall?
The country will come to a standstill as public transportation
and all traffic stops on Yom Kippur,
but the decorations for Sukkot
have been out on the Jerusalem, Israel streets for weeks.
As soon as break-the-fast meal is over, the sound of hammers will be heard
and it’s time to get ready for the Sukkot holiday week.
Gmar Chatimah tovah
May all be sealed for a good year.