It can be spelled differently in English every year,
but the Hanukkah season in Jerusalem is very consistent.
There are 10 sure signs that Hannukah is on its way.
1. The piles of sufganiot in all bakeries
begin to disappear at an astonishing rate.
2. Street decorations are up
and lit up at night.
3. Hanukkah menorahs are placed in public spaces and on roof tops.
This one is on top of the entrance to Bet Hanasi, the President’s official residence.
4. Dreydels and spinning tops of all sizes and colors
and shapes can be are for sale everywhere.
5. Shopping mall aisles are filled with sweet treats.
6. At nursery schools adults are sitting on little chairs with their children,
as families race from one child’s holiday performance to the next.
7. Shoppers fill the malls
and go to Machane Yehuda Market, the Shuk, where…
8. Strawberries are in season
and ready to taste.
9. Citrus fruits are at their peak color and flavor,
but more unusual tropical fruits are also offered for those special occasions.
And 10…you know Chanukah is here when,
the signs on the crowded buses change to Hanukkah Sameach.